Corrosion - introduction, identification and methods of control
- What is corrosion?
- What is the cost of corrosion to industry?
- How does corrosion take place?
- What drives the corrosion process?
- What are the distinct types of corrosion?
- What are the normal methods used to control corrosion?
Overview of corrosion technology
- Corrosion type identification
- How corrosion affects the durability of materials
- Material selection
- Design - good practices - Galvanic Series and its role
- Life extension of aging plant, equipment and infrastructure
Design guidelines for corrosion prevention
- General classification of engineering materials
- Corrosion resistant alloys
- General classification of environments
- Matching a material with an environment - good choices and bad choices
Examining various types of protective coatings - an overview
- Metallic coatings, galvanizing and metal spray
- Coating types and tape wrappings
- Cementicious coatings
Mitigation of internal corrosion
- Corrosion rates, corrosion measurement and life prediction
- The effects on corrosion of chemical treatments, inhibitors and biocides
- Corrosion inhibitors - types and applications
Mitigation of external corrosion
- Construction requirements - material durability
- Coating applications
- Cathodic protection - when is it required?
Corrosion testing and monitoring
- Conventional methods - condition assessment and non-destructive testing
- Weight loss coupon method (practical exercise)
- Electrical resistance method
- Electrochemical method
- When, why, and how to monitor for corrosion damage
Identifying the makeup and function of protective coatings
- The practicalities and limitations of various coating types
- Where they work and where they do not work
- Field testing of protective coatings
- Test equipment including paint film thickness and paint film integrity
Cathodic protection (CP)
- Theory and application of cathodic protection and how it inter-reacts with protective coatings
- Stray current corrosion
- Monitoring CP
- Evaluation of CP performance
- RCFA) Principles II